Melvin Opens Up Recruitment
March 4th, 2010
New England Recruiting Report
Notre Dame big man no longer heading to the University of Connecticut.
Notre Dame Prep forward Cleveland Melvin has opted to open up his recruitment according to Prep head coach Ryan Hurd. Melvin previously made a verbal commitment to the University of Connecticut.
“This was a mutual decision,” Hurd said. “Over the last few weeks Cleve has come to realize that UConn’s desire to have him play in the post doesn’t mesh with his desire to play on the wing at the next level.”
Melvin, an explosively athletic six-foot-eight forward, is a native of Baltimore and was very excited about following in the footsteps of guys like Reggie Lewis and Rudy Gay when he originally committed to Connecticut head coach Jim Calhoun this fall.
“When Coach Calhoun first offered a scholarship Cleve was in awe of the situation,” Hurd explained. “But now that he has had a chance to step back and evaluate it he realizes it might not be a great fit.”
Although Melvin only de-committed on Thursday afternoon Hurd says he has already heard from schools like South Florida, Seton Hall, Marquette, TCU, Miami, and Oklahoma State.
Notre Dame is the fourth seed in the upcoming National Prep Championship and will play their quarterfinal game this Tuesday at 4pm against fifth seeded Northfield Mount Hermon.